Dental bridges are used to fill up gaps in a person's smile. It is a great solution for those who have lost multiple teeth but are not ready for either implants or dentures. Bridges have two main parts: a set of crowns placed on the two real teeth closest to both sides of the gap…
The Importance of Oral Hygiene
Making excellent oral hygiene a habit is enough to avert most oral health diseases. Oral hygiene should be apart of your lifestyle and a frequent activity. A daily routine of oral care is necessary to clean the tooth of food bits or debris and plaque.
What are the consequences of poor oral hygiene?
- The primary result of poor oral care is tooth decay. When tooth decay does not receive immediate attention, it could worsen into tooth nerve infection, which causes unbearable pain. If left for long, the bones around the tooth will soon be affected, resulting in bone loss. In worse cases, you could suffer abscess, which may require the removal of the root canal or even the teeth.
- Another issue is gum disease, which can range from gingivitis and mild inflammation to severe periodontitis. If not treated early, it will cause loss of the bone surrounding the teeth, and ultimately teeth loss.
- Bad breath or halitosis is another common issue with people who have poor oral hygiene.
- Unknown to many people, poor oral hygiene is associated with diabetes, heart diseases, and complications during pregnancy. It is, therefore, necessary for people with cardiac conditions or diabetes to maintain strict oral hygiene. Couples preparing for pregnancy should also book an appointment with the dentist to resolve any possible dental issue. Maintaining proper oral health during pregnancy is necessary.
- Tooth loss in aged people makes it difficult to eat healthy meal courses, and a weak digestive system is a constraint for their overall health, causing health complications such as anemia.
- Young people without good oral hygiene may soon suffer a premature loss of teeth, degradation of the dental structure and ultimately malocclusion.
So how do we maintain good oral hygiene?
Keeping your mouth clean and healthy is simple and straightforward. Experts recommend brushing twice daily using a soft or medium toothbrush with peanut-sized toothpaste. Brushing should be gentle on the teeth and not vigorous.
Flossing should be done at least once per day.
When brushing your teeth, you should also remember to clean your palate and tongue. Doing this before going to bed will help lessen the build-up of microorganism in the mouth.
Once daily, wash your mouth with antimicrobial or mouthwash containing fluoride.
Also, don’t forget to change your toothbrush every three months.
Eat healthily, reducing the number of sugary foods and drinks. Aerated and sour beverages also do your teeth more harm than good. They erode your teeth and make it sensitive.
At least once in six months, book an appointment with the dentist for a regular checkup and professional polishing and scaling of your teeth.
Paying regular visits to your dentist when you detect any minor discomfort, discoloration, or inflammation will aid early detection of severe issues before they worsen. Your dentist will also be able to recommend precautions or practices for better oral health.
Prevention, we know is better than cure. Simple routines like these eliminate potential oral health issues and consequently avert expensive dental procedures in the future.
Request a dental appointment here: https://dthompsondds.com or call Derrick Thompson DDS at (310) 907-8464 for an appointment in our Los Angeles dental office.
Tooth extraction can seem to be hard to recover from, but there are plenty of ways that a person can take care of their mouth after a tooth has been extracted.With the help of this article, we will discuss a few ways that someone can take care of their mouths after they’ve had a tooth…
A lot of people have begun to consider Invisalign as a method for straightening their teeth. The benefits that come along with Invisalign have grown in success and they can provide a person with straighter teeth through a discreet and simple method.While dentist’s offices have always offered traditional braces as a method of treatment, many…
Dental procedures may be necessary for everyone depending on what their situation is. Occasionally a woman may need to be seen for something if it is serious, in which case they might be curious whether or not they can visit their dentist while they are carrying their baby.Mothers want to do what is absolutely best…